Mrs. B's Home Cooking is the place to find real soul food in Montgomery.
If you didn’t already know, Mrs. B’s Home Cooking was affected by a large fire in late January. The well-known Montgomery restaurant has been closed ever since, and owner Margaret Boyd (Mrs. B) has been quiet about what she plans to do. We finally had the opportunity to speak briefly with her.
The fire as it raged on the early morning hours of Jan. 20.
The good news? She says that while there’s no timeline yet, Mrs. B’s Home Cooking will return.
“Yes, I will be re-opening,” she said. “This is just a shock to the mind.”
A typical plate of soul food served at Mrs. B’s Home Cooking before the fire.
Unfortunately, Mrs. B said that where she re-opens the business is up in the air thanks to “high” repair and rent costs.
“I had made it where I was because rent was reasonable, but now everyone wants more than I can afford,” she told us.
An older portrait of Mrs. B, located inside the restaurant.
According to Mrs. B, her delicious soul food won’t be coming back to Montgomery-folk until she’s re-opened.
“There is no way to get Mrs. B’s food until then,” she said.
Some of Mrs. B’s fried chicken, a dish for which the restaurant had become well-known.
However, she said that when she does re-open she’ll announce it and let everybody know!
“I will have a grand opening and let the people know,” she said. “I’m working on it.”
A young man enjoys lunch at Mrs. B’s Home Cooking in 2018.
So, that’s where we’re at with Mrs. B’s Home Cooking right now. Unfortunately, the beloved restaurant will remain closed for the foreseeable future. Keep watch on Central Alabama Weekend for the latest!
Mrs. B speaks in an interview back in 2018.
Mrs. B’s Home Cooking and more on Central Alabama Weekend
While you’re here, why not check out this article?